The Life of your Horse


One of the simple joys in my life is to sit on the terrace, with a morning coffee and gaze at my horses, who stand quietly enjoying the warm rays of sunshine after a cold night. Notice the word 'gaze', not 'look at' ... the word completely summing up the lovely fuzzy soft feeling that I have when engaging in this favorite pastime! How lucky and blessed I am to be able to do this - and it never ceases to bring a smile, and to lift my heart and spirits high.
Being a horse 'in captivity' requires a compromise on the horse's part. Deprived of her natural tendency to wander, browse, explore and other natural daily horsey activities, a horse could get pretty bored! I often think about this, and try to see life from my horse's point of view. What can I do to make life a little more interesting for my horses? They already live in a herd which is great for them with all the social interractions it provides. They have a good space in which to get up a gallop if they feel like it. They get to participate in play with me. They get special treats. They have toys in their paddock. They get to go on walks, and the best of all! - they get Honorary Trips onto the House Lawn with all the Roses!
For a happier, livelier, more interractive horse buddy, try to look at your horse's life in captivity and think about what you could do to make it more interesting and enjoyable. Today's Plan of Action for my herd of boys is to encourage some dam splashing and to let them up to the top paddock where they can perve on the mares across the road! (With a solid post and rail fence protecting them of course!!) Yeeha Boys!